Sunday 18 February 2007

I really should be working on my metamorfic_moon piece, but i have hit a proverbial brick wall and i hate it anyway. brick wall is likely caused by alcohol followed by work, followed by more alcohol.

therefore, as a result of my Chinese New Year induced semi-hangover, we have the second part of my Aragorn/Arwen fic.


Title: Lorien Love File- Part 2
Author: captainraz
Format: fic chapter
Rating & Warnings: G; none
Word Count:
Summary: The continuing story of Aragorn's and Arwen's love. Or at least, the parts that occur in Lothlorien.
Author’s Notes: STILL don't own Lotr.





“And on the evening of Midsummer Aragorn Arathorn’s son, and Arwen daughter of Elrond went to the fair hill Cerin Amroth, in the midst of the land, and they walked unshod on the undying grass with elanor and niphrededil about their feet. And there upon that hill they looked east to the Shadow and west to the Twilight, and they plighted their troth and were glad.”

Aragorn came up behind Arwen with a grin on his face; she hadn’t heard him. Therefore, to demonstrate his tracking prowess, he began to tickle her violently as soon as she was in reach. Predictably, Arwen squealed but then she started fighting back. She soon had wrestled Aragorn on to his back so she was astride him and had him pinned.

“Do you yield?” questioned Arwen teasingly. Aragorn shifted so as to be more comfortable.

“Only if you plan on staying there.”

“Estel!”

“What? Can you blame me?” he asked innocently.

“I can blame you for a lot of things Estel.”

“Ah but you took advantage of me.”

“Estel!” Aragorn merely smirked. Some time lapsed before either spoke again and it was Aragorn who broke the silence.

“I suppose you are right.” He said

“About what?”

“This isn’t really a very dignified position for an elf-maid to be in.” Arwen snorted.

“If you had had your way Estel I would no longer be an elf-maid.”

“Are you insinuating that I would take advantage of you?” he asked trying to sound insulted.

“You would be too afraid to try and take advantage of me.” Aragorn laughed and flipped Arwen over so that he was on top of her.

“Oh really?” he asked cocking an eyebrow.

“Estel get of me.” Said Arwen trying to shove him off. “Get off!”

“You were the one who wanted me to take advantage of you.” he pointed out. Arwen merely pouted. Aragorn looked down at the elf in his clutches and noticed for the millionth time just how beautiful she was. “I love you,” he whispered nuzzling her nose with his own, “You know that don’t you?”

“You only tell me everyday Estel.” She whispered back. “Just as I tell you everyday that I love you too.” Despite the serious tone Aragorn chuckled. “What?”

“You realise the consequences if we are found like this?” She nodded, not really comprehending his meaning. They would probably force me to marry you, not that I would require much forcing. Then he thought of something he had been putting off. “Come walk with me.” He whispered, helping her up.

She wound her arm around his waist and he reciprocated. Aragorn’s mood had quickly changed from playful to serious, and Arwen was puzzled by this.

Aragorn could not be exactly sure how long he had walked in these woods with Arwen, such was the way Lorien affected mortals perception of time. No matter how long he had been in Lorien he knew that the more time he spent with Arwen, the more sure he was the she was the one for him. But he had to be sure of how she felt for him; she had to be willing to forsake a lot for him if they were to be together forever.

They walked in silence until they reached Cerin Amroth, widely regarded as the most beautiful place in Lothlorien. At the foot of the hill Aragorn turned to Arwen.

“Take off your shoes.” He said. Arwen looked at him incredulously. “Take off your shoes.” He repeated. This time she complied and he did the same.

Hand in hand they walked up the hill and Arwen knew why Aragorn had requested they go barefoot; the feel of the grass beneath her feet was wonderful. When they reached the crest of the hill Aragorn turned to face her but still kept silent, looking pensive. Eventually Arwen broke the silence.

“Why have you brought me here?” she whispered. Aragron put his finger to her lips.

“Can you not feel it? To the east lies Shadow and in the west Twilight, but in this place there is peace. Sheltered from both fates. While outside the borders of this land the Shadow grows, here there is peace.” His face looked troubled, “ The Shadow grows.” He murmured.

Arwen thought that she caught insecurity and despair in his eye, and replied with what she felt in her heart, for she felt hope when he so plainly did not.

“Dark is the Shadow, yet my heart rejoices; for you, Estel, shall be among the great whose valour will destroy it.”

Still he stood looking towards the west with a troubled look in his eyes, and Arwen wished only to see him smile again.

“They say that foresight is gifted to the elves; you will rise and defeat this enemy. The Shadow cannot last forever, for you shall defeat it.” Aragorn shook his head.

“Alas! I cannot foresee it, and how it may come to pass is hidden from me.” He stroked her face and seemed to smile a second. “Yet with your hope I will hope. And the Shadow I utterly reject.”

He paused, and Arwen could see within his eyes a struggle taking place, and she knew that he was steeling himself for some grim task. He took a deep breath.

“But neither, lady, is the Twilight for me; for I am mortal, and if you will cleave to me, Evenstar, then the Twilight you must also renounce.”

Arwen looked shocked for a moment then, for she had not expected that of him. She stood still as a white tree, looking into the West. There she perceived that she saw the white shores of Valinor, and the laughter of a thousand elves in Elvenhome. And Arwen thought that she saw her mother, who had forsaken middle-earth many years before.

Then Arwen looked into Aragorn’s eyes and saw there love and understanding, and acceptance at whatever choice she chose. And then she knew that though she might live ten thousand years more, she would not find another man such as Aragorn. Arwen knew that there could never be another who loved her as he did, and could give her what he offered.

And in that moment Arwen Undomiel realised the true power of love. She realised that there was nothing without Aragorn, and whatever she gave up for him would be worth the price. At last she spoke again.

“I will cleave to you, DĂșnadan, and turn from the Twilight. Yet there lies the land of my people and the long home of all my kin.”

Even as she spoke the words she knew of their finality, and of the grief she would cause and feel because of them. But she knew that Aragorn was worth all the tears of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad.

Even now there was a smile in his eye as he put his arms about her, pulling her to him. He rested his forehead against hers and said two simple words:

“Hannon le.”

And then he kissed her and did not stop for a long time. When they pulled apart he stroked her face and looked serious again.

“I suppose I had better do this properly.” He muttered almost inaudibly. Then he sank down on one knee before Arwen, who was by now not the least bit surprised at any actions he might choose to make.

Aragorn looked into Arwen’s eyes and smiled a thousand smiles, each and every one of them for her, and only for her.

“I ask of thee, Arwen Undomiel, when my time comes, wouldst thou be my bride? Will you marry me?”
“I say to thee Estel, that nothing in all of Arda could make me happier than to stand by your side as your wife. Of course I will marry you.” she said with a smile.

“Then bear this ring for me, as a token of our troth, so that those you shall meet shall know of our love.” And he slipped the Ring of Barahir off his finger as he straightened. “Even as Beren himself bore this ring so now I bear it too. And I would give it to my Tinuviel so that she may know the depth of my love for her.

“Oh, Estel, I only have to look into your eyes to know of the depth of your love. But I shall wear your ring, and cherish it all the more for it is a gift from you, my beloved.”

And Aragorn slipped the ring onto her finger even as he claimed her lips as his own. There they stood until the stars had come out in the heavens to honour their love. Then finally they broke apart and looked into each others eyes, revelling in their newly pledged love.

“We had better be getting back. I… we had better inform the Lady Galadriel of our troth-plighting.” Said Aragorn at last.

“There will be time for that in the morning, tonight is for me and you.” she replied holding on to him tightly. Aragorn smiled into her hair and he began to sing.

“Long was the way that fate them bore,
O’er stony mountains cold and grey,
Through halls of iron and darkling door,
And woods of nightshade morrowless.
The Sundering Seas between them lay,
And yet at last they met once more,
And long ago they passed away,
In the forest singing sorrowless.”


“The Lay of Leithian.” Arwen whispered.

“Ever has it been a favourite story of mine, but now it concerns our fate closely. I would do anything for you, my Evenstar.”

“And I for you.” she whispered.

“You already have,” he murmured back “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Then Aragorn noticed that she shivered slightly, and insisted then that they return to Caras Galadhon.

So hand in hand they returned to the elven city hearts bursting with joy and love. Knowing that the path before them was not going to be easy, but also that the rewards would be great.

Hand in hand they returned to civilisation, walking barefoot in the undying grass; for they had neglected to remember their shoes at the foot of Cerin Amroth