Saturday 21 March 2015

Flash Fiction Challenge: They're Coming

In the absence of the Pictonaut challenge I have slightly latched onto Chuck Wendig's flash fiction challenges to keep me churning out fiction on a semi regular basis. I have loads of his prompts saved waiting for me to do something exciting with them. Which I will. Oh such plans I have.

In the meantime he put up a challenge to write a drabble of exactly 100 words.

I adore drabbles. I love the challenge of telling a story (or a snapshot of a story) in exactly 100 words. I'm afraid I'm a drabble purist; very exact on the word count.

I can do this, I thought.

So I did. And here it is. Exactly 100 words of science-fictiony type goodness. You're welcome.

They're Coming

The message read simply: they’re coming.

We’d always known they would; it was a matter of when, not if. We were a threat to them, and they would come for us sooner or later and that time seemed to be now.

Fortunately, the moment had been prepared for.

I scooped my daughter up in my arms and headed for the transport. I had to get her off planet; she, and a small number of other children were humanity’s only hope for survival.

“Where we going daddy?” Molly asked, frightened.

“On a little trip, sweetheart. Somewhere we’ll be safe.”


I hope.