Monday 20 February 2012

Cooking Injuries (Not What You Think)


Originally published at Chuck-It Cook 28 July 2010

Food isn’t the only thing that gets cooked up in my kitchen, or rather, my mother’s kitchen in this case. One of the odder things I have a tendency to cook up is fake flesh and fake blood.

Yep you read that right.

See I’m a member of St John Ambulance and have been for years. A while back I did a course on casualty simulation (i.e. making people look like they’re injured) and its kinda become one of my specialities. I’m particularly good at making people look like they’ve chopped their fingers off.

In order to do this I have to make my materials. Now the stuff I use isn’t the sophisticated latex and bought stage blood. I make everything myself out of kitchen ingredients. Technically speaking you couldeat this stuff, but I often use out of date ingredients. And eating lots of the fake flesh would probably make you sick.

One of these days though, I’m going to make eating my severed finger my party trick.

I honestly can’t remember where I got this recipe from. I think the recipe came with the casualty simulation kit I acquired. But anyway, here are the recipes for fake flesh and fake blood.


Flesh

Ingredients:



  • 2 cups Self Raising Flour
  • 1 cup salt
  • 4 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
  • 2 Cups water
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil
  • Liquid foundation to match skin colour (optional)



Add all ingredients to a pan, stir and cook until mixture forms a soft dough ball

This is a basic salt dough essentially. And although I primarily use it to create wounds I do also plan on cooking up a few batches of different colours and have my own (incredibly cheap) playdough.



Blood


Ingredients:

  • 4 dessertspoons Cornflour (or custard powder)
  • 2 cups water
  • Few drops red food colouring
  • Few drops yellow food colouring
  • Teaspoon instant coffee granules
  • 1 tablespoon golden syrup (optional)
Make paste of flour and a little water and blend in the rest of the water. Add the rest of the ingredients. Slowly bring to a simmer and stir constantly until mixture thickens and darkens.

Add water to thin.

I prefer a nice dark red colour, achieved by adding the coffee. The consistency I prefer is almost like jelly, which is really good for filling in the wounds. It can always be watered down to provide a stream of blood.

When I have my materials I use them to put together a few things like this;








Happy Cooking.