Monday 20 February 2012

Green Food


Originally published at Chuck-It Cook 27 July 2010


My diet recently has been extremely green. I’ve been experimenting with green smoothies, after hearing so much about them on various food blogs. The first one was utterly delicious, the second one slightly less so. For the second on there was more green than other ingredients and I guess I need to strike the balance.


Green smoothies are ridiculously easy to make. Add fruit and milk/yoghurt to a blender as you normally would for a smoothie and then add in a couple of handfuls of some tender greens. I used baby spinach both times but I’m told you can also use arugula, parsley and even carrot greens.


The next green recipe I’ve been cooking up is something I dubbed Swamp Soup. It started out life as a way to use up some leftover kale and carrot from Sunday dinner, and turned into something utterly delicious that I’d definitely cook from scratch. So without further ado, I present you with the recipe;



Swamp Soup

Ingredients

  • 1 medium onion 
  • Curly Kale (about half a cup) 
  • 1 Carrot (I had about 1/4cup leftover cooked carrots) 
  • 1 stock cube (made up to about ¾ pin stock) 
  • ½ cup cous cous 
  • Butter 
  • Herbs to taste (I used about 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs) 
  • Pinch cayenne pepper 


Instructions

  1. Chop the onion and fry off in a little butter. 
  2. Add the kale and carrot 
  3. Season to taste; add herbs and spices 
  4. Add the stock and bring to the boil. 
  5. If using leftover veg simmer for about 5 minutes. 
  6. If using fresh veg simmer until carrots are tender 
  7. Remove from the hob and blend to an appropriate consistency (I used a hand blender in the pan) 
  8. Add cous cous and let stand (cous cous will cook in about 4 minutes) 
  9. Either serve immediately or allow to cool and refrigerate until required.