Saturday 12 April 2008

Pictures

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. And given that they also say the pen is mightier than the sword a picture is a powerful thing indeed. Mind you, I'd like to know exactly who 'they' are and exactly who gave them so much authority.

Pictures can tell the story of a person's life. Sometimes I look at photographs of myself and I don't recognise the person in them. They're not quite me. But you put all the photos together and they tell the story of how I became me, of how I found myself.

Some days I'm not sure if I really do know who I am, but I'm pretty damn content with the person I've become.

I know that I am loved.

I know that the only person who defines me is me.

I know that I have the courage to be myself and to follow my dreams.

I know that I can do anything I want if I just try hard enough.

I know that I have learned from my past mistakes, and am wise enough not to make them in the future.

I know that that is enough.