Saturday 9 January 2010

An Introduction

I have always had problems with my weight. My whole life I have been bullied and teased and ridiculed for being fat. Even at the most active points in my life I have struggled to shed the pounds. At times my issues with my weight have been crippling to my social life, and to my mental health.

I don't pretend to be something I'm not. I know I am a woman who is fat. I weigh approximately 16 stone, am a UK dress size 22 and have a BMI of greater than 30. To look at myself I know I am fat, and if I were to ask a medical opinion I would be told I am obese.

The aim of this blog will be to try to come to terms with who and what I am, to work out the best methods for getting down to my ideal weight, and to share any experiences I have getting there. I want to learn to love myself, I want to find the best way of classifying and quantifying my body, and I want to find the best way of getting myself healthier (not necessarily thinner). Following advice from this post over at Big Fat Deal I should be posting some fiction dealing with the issues of extreme body types (thin as well as fat). There is every likelihood that this will be a long haul trip, but with a bit of luck it wont be absolute hell getting to my destination.

You're all welcome to join me for the ride.