Tuesday 26 January 2010

Unintentionally Healthy

Yesterday was my 21st birthday, and I must say it went very well. Not that I feel any different, now that I am absolutely irrevocably an adult.

Sam and I went out for dinner last night, to a bar and grill about 20mins walk from our house. It’s an American style place, so the menu is packed full of steaks, burgers and ribs. Sam (Mr Piggy Pig) went for their ultimate burger, which was absolutely huge and came with just about every side dish and condiment available. I chose the tuna steak with Teriyaki sauce and a garlic and herb prawn skewer accompanied by a jacket potato and side salad. My meal was just about the healthiest one they served, and that got me thinking.

I ate a fairly healthy meal last night, but I wasn't trying to. I chose the meal I did because I honestly wanted that, not because I was trying to lose weight. I absolutely thoroughly enjoyed my meal and then went on to spend my brownie points for being good on drinking lots of whisky at the pub afterwards.

I've had another relatively good day today, mainly because I was far too busy to focus on food. My diet officially starts on February 1st, but in the meantime, I won't hesitate to eat a healthy, low calorie and tasty just because I want to. I little bit of what you fancy is good for you, and if what you fancy is good for you in and of itself, then all the better.