Friday 16 April 2010

Rights and Wrongs

Throughout my life I’ve been made aware of the things I don’t have. This is usually done by other people, who thinking they are being helpful, or just being mean, point out that I don’t have the right this, or the right that.

I have never had the right toys.

I have never had the right clothes.

I have never had the right things in my lunchbox.

I have never had the right shoes.

I have never had the right friends.

I have never had the right taste in music.

I have never had the right accessories.

I have never had the right ideas.

I have never had the right talents.

I have never had the right hobbies.

I have never had the right books.

I have never had the right nails.

I have never had the right hair.

I have never had the right complexion.

I have never had the right beauty regime.

And I have never cared about any of this, because I am individual, with my own choices and my own life to live. I realise that all of the above things are bullshit, and I have had and still do have the right EVERYTHING as far as I am concerned. Even if it’s not up to the ridiculous standard of others.

So why the hell do I care so much that I don’t have the right BMI?

Or the right numbers on the weighing scale.

Or the right body shape.

And why the hell is it so hard let go of caring about that?